Heather On The Hill


Heather On The Hill

You rose over me like the morning glow
your light and warmth seared me with love
and you cauterized my past

In happy radiance we merged
I burned my initials in the sun

On a hill wrapped in heather we began our lives
Nature married us
and in union with all amongst us
we flourished

But dark was my destiny
and it blanketed your fate
Your crescent youth became full
though your womb never did
and then began to fade

Your flaming hair slowly simmered down to cool gray
and your white flesh crackled into lukewarm embers

The months of your life followed their only course
and I could no more stop it
then halt the cycles of the moon

You waned away from me
till night eclipsed day
and the sky was barren

I put you to earth
and now my Heather blossoms
in the heather on the hill

February 7, 1994
Tressa Lee Breen

No comments:

Post a Comment