Sulfur (8)


Sulfur

With the smell of Vulcan’s forge
and the color of the sun upon me
I am found deep in the essence of life
and in the earth’s circle of flame

Although I carry the odor of burning and decay
I am in the whitest paper
the toughest rubber
the firmest cement

I may stink of death
but my strengths are in life
the growth, protection and flight thereof

March 17, 2011

Tressa Lee Breen

My Notes & Research Tools:

Bright yellow crystalline solid
Essential for life: in 2 amino acids: cysteine, methionine
Fertilizers, black gunpowder, matches, insecticides, brimstone
Burns w/ a blue flame
Dark red at 392F
Found near hot springs, volcanic rings, Pacific Ring of Fire, oil refining, waste water processing, cellophane, rayon, bleach paper, vulcanized rubber, cement, detergents
Eggs high in sulfer for feather formation
Hydrogen sulfer as toxic as hydrogen cyanide, more easily avoided due to smell
Sulfur on Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment