Forgot Want

Forgot Want

Oh yes there was a time I knew desire
and desire knew me
even with this squished melon face
and marshmallow body
desire wanted to taste me
and I wanted to suck its sweetness

Those musky nights of sea and pearls
though deep
never seemed vast
then breaks in the chain
became lost links
and even alone
there were no storms

I didn’t notice passion go nova
didn’t see the heat turn in on itself
and leave a black spot where nothing now lives

I simply forgot Want

Now within me there is a speck of flint
and a throb that flicks against it
almost catches
almost sparks

How can I scream in another’s fire
and merge it with my own
if the last time I burned
was a decade ago
in a work bathroom stall
alone

September 21, 2013
Tressa Lee Breen 
author reading poem

No comments:

Post a Comment