The Grille Of A Truck


The Grille Of A Truck

I dreamt of darkness behind the grille of a truck
I dreamt not knowing what became of me
I dreamt of arms slashing thru blackness
or did I dream of slashing my arms

I dreamt of pen and paper unable to create
I dreamt of words jumbled and unwritten
I dreamt of unimagined poetry
or did I dream poetry imagined me

I dreamt of ancestors crushing with concern
I dreamt of a sibling nightmare
I dreamt of a forgotten family
or did I dream my family forgot me

I dreamt of a religion that raped me
I dreamt of a childhood collared
I dreamt of a man of God disrobed
or did I dream a Godless man robbed me

I dreamt of a life of fulfilling talent
I dreamt of the strength of spirituality
I dreamt of a sunlit future
or did I dream of light before the grille of a truck

February 27, 2002
Tressa Lee Breen

No comments:

Post a Comment