Undressing My Life


Undressing My Life

Shoes of propriety
the soles of society's vision
of what we are to be
we wear as our foundation

The animal lace lays against our root
flush to our most primal selves
capturing and holding our basic needs
in check

We pull color over our mobility
matching that which we are told
is perfection over the skin
and hose ourselves down
in prepared fashion

A bit of given style covers us
the image of culture's desire
as we button up our dreams
belt up our minds
zip up our goals
under the accepted individuality
of conformity

What if my foundation expands
and these soles become too small
Can I kick off my tight shoes
and feel the earth beneath

What if the style of my desire
demands a freer image
Can I pop the buttons at the beginnings of my dreams
unbuckle the confines of my brain
and rip into my goals

And this shade over my flesh must go
if I am to run without control

My needs go basic and beyond
and I will not be held
My root self will see the sun
and I will live unchecked

April 15, 2004  
Tressa Lee Breen

No comments:

Post a Comment