"Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter" movie trailer, book trailer, book review

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter (Movie trailer, Book trailer, Book)

*

Movie Trailer #1 (movie opens June 22. 2012)

From IMDb-

Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President of the United States, discovers vampires are planning to take over the United States. He makes it his mission to eliminate them.

My two Lincolns:

The ticking intro succeeded in capturing my heartbeat. The voice (although not Lincoln accurate according to accounts I’ve since read) was also stirring and visuals were dark and fast for the vampires and iconic for Lincoln. “Wanted” is the only other movie I have seen directed by Timur Bekmanbetov which is the best movie equivalent of a roller coaster ride, taken with excellent actors, that I have ever seen. This film, like the former, will hinge primarily on the actors’ ability to sell the premise, and the director’s frenetic eye-candy style, to the audience.

(Since seeing the trailer I’ve read about some changes and character additions to the movie that make me a bit hesitant. I do still intend to actually go to the theatre and see this one – I usually wait for DVD – but not in 3D, which I think is generally unnecessary.)



Secret Life” Movie Featurette



*


My two Lincolns:

I almost hate to admit it but this made me want to read the book more than the movie trailer. Its budget is more commensurate to that of a book than of a movie of course but it captures the feel and visuals that a title like “Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter” could inspire in historical, supernatural and positive senses. The Lincoln voice over (although, like the movie trailer, not Lincoln accurate as I have since found out) is passionate, it’s a nice touch that the vampire resembles Booth, and I like the Lincoln actor’s look and mannerisms (I have since found out that he has done work as a Lincoln impersonator for decades).

*

Abraham Lincoln VampireHunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (2010)

My two Lincolns:

I didn’t expect to like this as much as I did (I mentioned my thoughts on actual historical figures with mythical creatures in “Bitten By the Hat”). It was actually a surprisingly well-done weaving of factual events (from Lincoln’s childhood to his assassination and just a bit beyond...) with supernatural fantasy monsters: I would dub it “historical horror fiction”. No, it’s not “Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter I Am” by Dr. Seuss nor is it Robert Green Ingersoll’s essay “Lincoln’s Axe Proclamation On American Vampire Civil Disobedience”; it’s an entertaining story that is worth an evening’s read, by firelight, alone...

(It also inspired me to read up on the actual man and if it does the same for others I would consider it a successful story.)




  

No comments:

Post a Comment