Sense Memory In A Can



I don’t remember the smell
I do remember the slime
the gagging
slithering
feeling
of it
over my lips
my tongue
revolted by every chew
trying to swallow fast
only to have it rejected
back up
into my mouth
stuffing bread and butter
to cover the taste
until my father
the epitome of
-get-circumsized-at-age-44-because-my-22-year-old-new-wife-tells-me-to-
pussy whipped
actually says something
and my mother
burning in silent anger
takes my plate
and throws the
canned lo mein
into the trash
as I get up from the table
and run
to my room
to my books
and into my childhood hiding place

May 2, 2020

Day 26 of 100

Image of unknown origin, used without permission, with no credit taken, no profit made, and no offense intended.

2 comments:

  1. captured the gagging memory. The last lines however are what capture it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That moment is probably the best description of my parents relationship and where I spent most of my childhood (when not over Grammy and Cappy’s).

    ReplyDelete